The lowdown on public WIFI
A recent study conducted by Experian Consumer Services revealed the following facts about our Public WIFI use in the UK.
- Half of Britons who use public WIFI, don't know whether it's secure
- One in ten use public WIFI for online banking
- 36% of WIFI hotspots checked in London were completely unsecure
While these statistics are quite shocking, there's no need to panic with our great tips on staying safe online...
- Where possible, save important tasks like online banking until you are at home on a secure network
- Turn off automatic connection on your devices
- Check for the padlock icon at the left of the address bar or for 'https' in the URL which are signs that the site is secure
- Consider getting a personal VPN which can protect your data as it travels over open WIFI connections